- Home Planning Guide: PDF (requires free Adobe Reader)
- Design Resources PDF (requires free Adobe Reader)
Methods & Materials
- Insulating Concrete Form (ICF) Construction utilizes ICFs for the exterior foundation and walls.
ICFs are light-weight, insulating casts that are stacked much like legos. Concrete is poured into the forms resulting in insulated concrete walls that are stronger and more durable than wood frame homes, resistant to inclement weather and free of chemical treatments that can give off toxic gasses.
Find additional information on ICFs on the Insulating Concrete Form Association (ICFA) website, or at Green Building Talk.
- Timberframe Construction (Fachwerk, half-timbering, post-and-beam, post-frame) is the method of creating structures using heavy squared off and carefully fitted and joined timbers with joints secured by large wooden pegs.
- Universal design (UD) is the process of designing products and environments that are usable to the greatest extent possible, by everyone regardless of their age or ability. In your home this means considering design features such as wider hallways, front-load washers/dryers, central vacuum systems, height of cabinetry, or even an apartment for a caregiver or family member.
- Zero-Energy Home (ZEH) is a house that is connected to the utility grid, but can be designed and constructed to produce as much energy as it consumes on an annual basis.
- The U.S. Department of Energy's guide - Small Wind Electric Systems, A Colorado Consumer's Guide - provides some practical information and resources for individuals considering wind energy in Colorado.
- The AIA (American Institute of Architects) Framework for Design Excellence and other resources for design sustainability.
- The online Source Book for Green and Sustainable Building presents general and specific recommendations for homes that can be considered environmentally friendly.
- G.E. Renewable Energy Solutions G.E. is one of the world's leading wind turbine suppliers
- The U.S. Department of Energy's Wind and Hydropower Technologies Program provides a number of resources for consumers including state wind maps, financial assistance opportunities and information regarding the program's two primary areas of research - hydropower and wind energy.
- Power House Solar and Wind, Southern Colorado's Premier Renewable Energy Provider.
- A list of Wind Energy Businesses in Colorado.
- Information on rainwater, storm water and graywater by the Colorado Division of Water resources and graywater and rainwater harvesting regulations provided by the CSU Extension.
Disposal and Recycling Resources
Recycle Colorado, a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit that aims to turn CO into a leader in recycling and waste reduction.